Standing Stones, Moy Castle and Laggan Sands
Two short walks and one longer walk to the Standing Stones
and the MacLaine stronghold of Moy castle, in the scenic and historic glen of Lochbuie,
plus a longer walk past Moy Castle to Laggan Sands. All three walks are in the setting of the magnificent backdrop
of Ben Buie.
LOCH BUIE STANDING STONES
Access to the bronze age
circle, is from Lochbuie Village road. As you travel towards Loch
Buie, Ben Buie is sighted as are the trees on the left. The road
opens out to cross a stone bridge. Park just at the bridge (sign on
the gate) and go through the field towards a wood on the right. You
cross a plank of wood spanning a ditch. Near here there is a single
standing stone. The stone circle is behind the rhododendrons to the
left. Little is known about these stones, however it is a peaceful and beautiful
spot. White stones mark the best route. Some visitors try to find
their own way across the boggy land, however, this is not advisable. Return using the same route. Access to Moy Castle is not permitted through
the estate farm area.
For further information on the standing stones,
Stout walking shoes/boots are advised as the ground is often wet underfoot.
OS grid reference: 617251
MAP OS EXPLORER 375 Isle of
Click on the images to enlarge
Ben Buie and the standing stones
On leaving the stone
circle area, drive south to the village post office and park in the car park on
the shoreline. Walk east along the shoreline path, past St. Kilda's
Church (note the fine stained glass windows to St. Columba and St. Finnan and
biblical scenes). St Kilda's church is a Scottish Episcopal Church of Argyll
and the Isles consecrated in 1876; Laird MacLaine of Lochbuie raised funds for
its construction. Various monuments within the church are to his
family, and others belonging to this part of Mull.
For further information about St. Kilda's and the Loch Buie area
St. Kilda's Church
glass at St. Kilda's Church
After visiting St. Kilda, carry on
walking past the church and take the gate following the shoreline
(not to the big house) - you will see the castle is ahead in view. Moy Castle was
built in the 15th century by Hector MacLean, brother of Maclean of
Duart and the founder of the re-named Maclaines of Lochbuie who made it their
home. It is a 3 storey tower with a garret with a well on the
ground floor. It was captured from the Maclaines and
garrisoned by Campbell followers but later returned to the Maclaines. It was abandoned in 1752 when a new house was built. The entrance
door is locked now because of a risk of crumbling masonry although restoration
work is currently being completed on it (2006/2007). Although access is not
currently permitted to the castle, the castle is still worth
a visit as it has a commanding view over Lochbuie. St Kilda
was probably a mythical person as the name is only connected with the island
which has the proper name of Hirta. An ancient well on the island has the
inscription " Tobar Childa" "Well of Kilda" perhaps a Norse Saint Kildar.
A Celtic cross built into the porch wall of the church is believed to be 800
Return by the same route.
For further information on Moy Castle,
OS grid reference: 617247
MAP OS EXPLORER 375 Isle of
Ben Buie from Laggan
Walk to Laggan Sands to be added at a later date.
© 2000 - 2007